Toronto Film School

The Toronto Film School was founded in 2001. It quickly began to gain popularity, and was bought by the RCCIT family of for-profit schools in 2009. At that time, the school began to add programs in television, film and stage acting, in scriptwriting for film and television, and in film production.  

In 2010, the school moved into a brand new, state of the art facility in Toronto. This primarily consists of the studio facility at Yonge-Dundas Square.  

The school began offering Diploma programs in 2014, initially both relating to video game design. Soon after, though, it added programs in graphic design, interactive media, marketing for fashion and entertainment and fashion design.

The Toronto Film School today offers a wide range of career-oriented, practically focused programs, ranging from the traditional film and media content to fashion, marketing and even interior decorating. It operates out of three campuses, on Dundas Street, Steeles Avenue and Yonge Street, all in Toronto, Ontario.

Trent University

Trent University was originally founded in 1963, as a public, non-denominational university in the town of Peterborough, in Ontario’s Trent Valley. In 1964 it had only 100 students.

The university consists of several individual colleges. The first was Catherine Parr Traill College, the home of the university’s Modern Languages, Canadian Studies, Cultural Studies and English Departments. A Geography Department was added in 1968, and the nation’s first native Studies program followed in 1969.

Champlain College is located on the Symons Campus, and houses the Political Studies Department. Lady Eaton College houses the History, Women’s Studies and Philosophy Departments. Later additions include the Otonabee, Peter Gzowski, Peter Robinson and

Julian Blackburn Colleges, the latter only added in 2011.

Trent University today ranks among Canada’s top universities, and is among the top 3.4% of universities worldwide, in terms of academic achievement. It offers a wide range of undergraduate and graduate degree programs to students from all over the world.

University of Prince Edward Island

The University of Prince Edward Island – UPEI – was founded in 1820 as Kent College. It was later named Prince of Wales College. Another institution that was to become an important part of UPEI, the Central Academy, received the UK’s Royal Charter in 1834. By 1860 the Colleges were merged under the name of the then Prince of Wales.

The University of Prince Edward Island today is a thoroughly modern institution which can nevertheless draw upon more than 150 years of academic, athletic and cultural tradition to deliver a unique meaningful and supportive university environment to all of its graduate, undergraduate and doctoral students, local, national and international alike.

Recent program additions include:

  • Master of Arts in 2003
  • Master of Applied Health Services Research in 2004
  • Bachelor of Integrated Studies and Master of Business Administration in 2008
  • Bachelor of Business Studies in 2009
  • PhD in Educational Studies in 2009
  • Bachelor of Wildlife Conservation, Bachelor of Science in Kinesiology, and Master of Nursing, all in 2010.

Wilfrid Laurier University

Wilfrid Laurier University was founded by the Lutheran Synod in 1910 as the Evangelical Lutheran Theological Seminary of Eastern Canada. The same institution bean offering non-religious courses in 1914 under the name Waterloo College School. Ten years later, the Waterloo College of Arts was formally created, and was soon affiliated with the University of Western Ontario.

Waterloo College became Waterloo Lutheran University in 1960, and it became a full university in 1973, finally taking the name Wilfrid Laurier University. In 1999, Laurier opened a second campus in Brantford, Ontario. Soon after in 2006 they moved the Lyle S. Hallman Faculty of Social Work to a new campus in downtown Kitchner. As recently as 2008 Laurier began preparations to build yet another campus in Milton, Ontario in partnership with Conestoga College.

Wilfrid Laurier University today is home to more than 17,000 undergraduate students and a further 1,500 graduate students. It is in mid transition between its former status as a primarily undergraduate university to one of the more significant research universities in Ontario.

Carleton University

Carleton University was founded in 1942 as a non-denominational college, partially funded by charitable donations from around the Ottawa community. It was an attempt to revitalise the community at the end of the Great Depression by giving young people who were already in the work force access to better education and employment prospects.

Though its beginnings were humble – rented facilities and night classes in administration and college preparatory courses – it expanded rapidly from 1945, at the end of the 2nd world war. With the addition of a Faculty of Arts and Sciences in 1945 as well as courses in Journalism and Engineering, it was becoming a complete educational institution. It became a degree-granting institution in 1952, the first such non-sectarian college in the province.

Carleton University today is a major centre of research and teaching in Canada’s national capital city. It boasts more than 28,000 students and an alumni network of more than 125,000 spread across the nation and all the world.

University of New Brunswick

The University of New Brunswick is not only the oldest English speaking university in Canada, it is among the oldest public universities in the Americas. Its first campus was founded in 1785 at Fredericton. At the time, the institution was known as the Academy of Liberal Arts and Sciences. The name changed to the College of New Brunswick in 1800, when it received its Provincial Charter.

It became King’s College 27 years later, when it received the Royal Charter. It operated under the control of the Church of England until 1859, when it officially became non-sectarian. It adopted the name University of New Brunswick at that time.

A second campus was not opened until the university was nearly 200 years old, in 1964. The St John campus was soon joined by 2 smaller health sciences campuses in Moncton and Bathurst, as well as small offices in China and the Caribbean.

The University of New Brunswick today offers more than 75 different degrees, delivered by 14 separate faculties. Between its 2 main campuses it houses some 11,400 students.

Saint Mary’s University

Saint Mary’s University is one of Canada’s oldest institutions. got its start as the Glebe House boys’ school in 1802. In time it became a college, and then a university in its own right. Saint Mary’s was first given the power to grand degrees in 1841. The university was later run by the Christian Brothers of Saint John the Baptiste de la Salle, and then by the Catholic Archdiocese of the region in the mid to late 1800s.

It was briefly a part of the University of Halifax, but became a university in ots own right in 1952. It was still a Catholic institution, though it became a non-denominational public institution in 1972, on its 170th anniversary.

Saint Mary’s University today has more than 7000 students, and awards some 1,500 degrees every year. It has better than 50,000 alumni around the world, and its budget for scholarships, bursaries and fellowships is nearly $CAN8 million. It is best known for its computing, technology and business programs.

University of Lethbridge

The University of Lethbridge is unique in that it offers students of all levels the chance to work beside some of the tip researchers in Canada in state of the art facilities like the Canadian Centre for Behavioural Neuroscience and highly accredited institutions like the Dhillon School of Business. It is also the only school in all of Alberta to offer co-operative work education programs for every Arts and Sciences program they offer, at both the undergraduate and graduate levels.

It has more than 50 years of stellar academic tradition behind it. In fact, uLethbridge began as a Comprehensive Academic and Research Institution in 1967. Its original campus along the Oldman River includes an award winning University Hall, the Centre for Sport and Wellness, a Community Stadium and several residence halls.

The University of Lethbridge today boasts nearly 9,000 students and has added a campus in Calgary, specialising in evening and weekend classes in fields like the health sciences and management.

Royal Roads University

Royal Roads University started out as HMCS Royal Roads, a training institution for Naval Reserve Officers in 1940. Its name changed many times, but it settled as Royal Roads Military College in 1968, and gained the right to grant degrees in its own name in 1975.

In 1995 the military college was decommissioned, but much of the staff stayed on when Royal Roads University opened as a public degree-granting institution. It still sits on the Hadley Park National Historic Site, and occupies Hatley Castle, a palace originally intended to house England’s royal family in Canada, but which was never actually used for that purpose.

Royal Roads University today is dedicated to creating enduring prosperity, both for its students and the communities they will eventually call home. They work to build strong connections between people, between cultures, and between ideas. To achieve that, they have fostered a strong focus on both economic and environmental sustainability. Environmental sustainability and the struggle against climate change are two of its core teaching and research mandates.

Seneca College

Seneca College was founded just over 50 years ago, in 1967. Its beginnings were humble, though it began to grow quickly. Its first building still stands in what is now known as Newham Campus. Ground was broken for its second campus in Buttonville at the same time, this one dedicated to its still thriving aviation program. 700 acres once owned by the Eaton family were added in 1971, becoming King Campus.

A new round of expansion began in 1999, with the opening of the Seneca@York campus, still the only college campus set within a separate university. Markham campus was added in 2005, in a 10 story office building in the heart of Markham’s thriving Business District. Around the same time, Seneca opened small community-based campuses in Vaughan, Yorkgate and Newmarket.

Seneca College today is spread across 14 campuses all over the Greater Toronto Area. Its distributed nature allows each campus to specialise in one or more areas of study and allows close working relationships with businesses and industries throughout the region.