This is a 3 year program for most students. It has six core skill areas:
- An understanding of the physiological basis for emergency medical intervention and care
- Familiarity with and critical awareness of the evidential basis for paramedic care
- A solid understanding of the stresses and psychological issues paramedics and other healthcare providers face
- A solid set of paramedic skills
- An understanding of how to apply leadership and management principles in a medical setting
- A capstone study project which demonstrates your suitability and capability as a paramedic
Year 1 will see you learning the fundamentals of anatomy, physiology and professional judgement. It will involve 750 hours of clinical practice.
Year 2 will develop your understanding of physiology pharmacology and emergency care. You’ll undertake a further 750 hours in several different placements.
Year 3 will focus more on professional judgement, leadership, assessment and management. You’ll undertake a dissertation, and a final 750 hours of clinical practice.